Brian Beckcom is a Board Certified Lawyer who has gained national and international recognition for his work on complex, high profile legal cases.
Brian began his career at one of the largest law firms in the country, Fulbright & Jaworski, where he represented billion dollar insurance companies and corporations. After only a few years, Brian realized that he would prefer representing individuals, families, and small businesses. Brian left the large law firm and started VB Attorneys with Vuk Vujasinovic. For over a decade, Brian and Vuk have refused to represent large insurance companies or corporations, instead focusing their energy and talent on representing people who have been injured by corporate negligence.
Says Brian: "Fulbright & Jaworski was a great place to start as a lawyer. I met some great lawyers. More importantly, I saw first-hand how insurance companies and large corprations defend lawsuits. I now use that knowledge to represent our clients against those insurance companies and corporations. It's a huge benefit to my clients to know that their lawyer can take on and beat these giant corporate entities."
Brian has won hundreds of cases against some of the largest companies in the world. To list just a few examples:
- Half the crew of the Maersk Alabama hired Brian to represent them after their ship was attacked by Somali pirates in 2009. The pirate attack and rescue by Navy Seals was made into a movie called "Captain Phillips" starring Tom Hanks in the role of Captain Phillips. The movie was a Hollywood blockbuster, and depicted Captain Phillips as a hero, potentially negatively affecting the crewmembers' case. Brian uncovered evidence showing that the company and Captain intentionally took a shortcut through pirate-infested waters, endangering the entire crew. Brian's work was featured on national and international media, including ABC News, Nightline, and Good Morning America. The case settled for confidential amounts and changed the way entire global shipping industry protects the men and women who man their ships. You can read more at www.TheTruthAboutCaptainPhillips.com.
- When a logger from East Texas was injured on the job, he and his wife hired Brian to represent them. Brian obtained a $5,000,000.00 settlement in less than 6 months. Learn more about Johnny's case here. Listen to what Johnny and his wife have to say about Brian's work on their case.
- When a young boy lost his mother in a tragic boating accident, the father turned to Brian to represent his son. Brian negotiated a $5,150,000.00 settlement for the young boy.
- When a truck pulled out in front of a motorcyclist on a Saturday morning ride and caused a terrible crash, Brian was hired as his lead lawyer. Brian obtained a $4,500,000.00 settlement for the motorcyclist. This has been reported to be one of the largest settleements in a motorcycle accident case in Harris County history.
Mr. Beckcom's efforts have been featured in national and international news media.
Brian is sixth-generation Texan. His dad was a Lt. Colonel in the United States Air Force, so Brian lived all over the world growing up, including Louisiana, New York, Kansas, and the Guam Islands in the Pacific Ocean.
Brian has published 6 books and hundreds of articles on legal topics, self-improvement, and success strategies, which he freely shares with anyone who can benefit from them.
According to Brian, "writing books and articles requires that you understand your subject area in depth. I publish books and articles for two reasons. First, it helps me stay on top of my professional duties to my clients and keeps my skills sharp. Second, even if someone doesn't hire me, I want them to have trustworthy information so they can make good decisions for themselves.
Brian graduated from the University of Texas School of Law with honors. During law school, Brian served as the Chief Notes Editor of the Texas Law Review, the starting free safety on the Legal Eagles football team, and was a research assistant for the late Charles Alan Wright. During law school, Brian wrote a law review article that has been cited by many legal experts and authorities, including in a brief by the U.S. to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Before law school, Brian attended Texas A&M University where he obtained a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with a minor in Philosophy. Brian was a varsity letterman on the Texas A&M basketball team, a four-year member of the Corps of Cadets, and a two-year member of the Ross Volunteerrs, an elite organization which serves as the Honor Guard for the Governor of Texas and is the oldest student organization in the State of Texas.
Brian has been been married since 2000 to Cara Beckcom. He has three kids, two boys and a girl. When he is not winning cases for his clients, Brian enjoys coaching his kids sports teams, golfing, photography, and fly fishing. Brian is a single-digit golfer and has caught trout, carp, bass, perch, tarpon, redfish, sharks, permit, and bonefish on the fly rod.
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D. with honors
- Chief Notes Editor, Texas Law Review
- Texas A&M University, Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, Minor in Philosophy
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Lead lawyer for half the crew of the Maersk Alabama
- Texas Super Lawyer & Rising Star 6 straight years
- Superb AVVO 10/10 rating
- Author of 9 books on legal issues
- Author of "Thoughts on Success" book
- Best of the Best In Admiralty Law
Presentations & Speeches:
- Identifying and Handling Jones Act Cases - Texas Trial Lawyers Seminar, 2004
- Is the Limitation of Liability Defense Sunk? - Texas Lawyer, April 2005
- The Risky Ride of the 15-Passenger Van - TRIAL Magazine, February 2003
- Update on the Texas Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure - The South Texas Law Review, Vol. 41 (w/ Reagan Wm. Simpson)
- Pushing the Limits of the Judicial Power: Tolling State Statutes of Limitations Under 28 U.S.C. § 1367(d) - Texas Law Review, Vol. 77
Brian is one of the most prolific lawyer-authors in the country. He has published, edited, and authored hundreds of web articles, news items, blog posts, videos, reports, and books about all aspects of injury and wrongful death law.
- Lifetime Member of the Texas A&M Letterman's Association
- Century Club Member, Texas A&M University
- Lifetime Member of the Corps of Cadets Association
- Chapelwood United Methodist Church
- Lakeside Country Club