Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law
10.0 AVVO rating
Obtained one of the top 20 verdicts in Texas in 2016
First-generation American, life-long Houstonian
Vuk with Raquel & Lucila
Vuk with Raquel & Lucila after a Harris County jury returned a favorable verdict for them in the amount of $17,720,000.
Vuk with Inocencio
Vuk with Inocencio, a longshore worker who was crushed by a crane, and his daughter, Marisol.
Vuk with Isidor
Vuk with Isidor, who was hit by a commercial truck on his way to work.
Vuk inspecting a boom lift
Vuk inspecting a boom lift involved in a scaffolding collapse that injured several of his clients.
Vuk with Javier
Vuk congratulating Javier on his injury case settlement.
Vuk with Nick & family
Nick with his family and Vuk. The firm raised $16,000 to help Nick get the treatment he needs after he was hit by a truck.
Vuk with Francisco
Vuk congratulating Francisco on his case settling.
Vuk with Rodolfo
Vuk congratulating Rodolfo on the settlement of his plant explosion case.
Vuk is nationally and internationally known for handling high profile personal injury and wrongful death cases, where the stakes for the victims and their families could not be any higher. For over a decade, Vuk has been Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
According to Vuk, "The State Bar of Texas, not one of the many marketing companies out there that will sell you an 'award,' certifies lawyers in Texas. This is the gold standard. Because of this, my clients know that my background, qualifications and skills have been thoroughly vetted by the State Bar, not just once, but continuously as we must apply for re-certification every 5 years. My clients often tell me they have peace of mind because they know they are represented by an attorney who holds a certification held by less than 2% of all the lawyers practicing in Texas. The insurance and company lawyers know this as well, and this helps my clients' cases tremendously. "
Vuk graduated from the University of Texas with a degree in Finance, with Honors. Vuk went to law school at the University of Houston Law Center, where he was selected as an Editor of the Houston Law Review. Vuk says, "my work on the law review was critical, as it sharpened my legal research and writing skills, which is often an overlooked talent. I believe lawyers who are known for their work in the courtroom need to have this type of foundation in order to offer the absolute best service to their clients. I think it's rare to find a lawyer who is excellent in both trial work and legal analysis work."
Before starting his own law firm with Brian, Vuk worked at an international law firm, Shook, Hardy & Bacon, where he handled "bet-the-company" types of cases brought against the major tobacco and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Through this work, Vuk learned first-hand how large corporations and insurance companies try to defend against high-stakes lawsuits. Now, Vuk uses what he learned while representing these corporations to benefit his clients who are making claims against these same types of companies. "My clients appreciate that I have this inside knowledge, and that I use it to enhance their cases at every opportunity," says Vuk.
Vuk is a first generation American, and lifelong Houstonian. Vuk lives in Houston with his wife, Ofelia, and three children, Isa, Nikola, and Sava. When he is not handling cases, Vuk enjoys spending time with his family at home and on family vacations. Vuk also enjoys playing golf and tennis. Vuk was a state-ranked tennis player in high school and gravitated to golf when he attended the University of Texas.
"People often want to know about specific cases I am handling or have handled in the past, and what results I have obtained for my clients," says Vuk. "I think it's a great idea for anyone looking for a lawyer to get this information."
Sample Past Cases:
- Obtained a $17.72 Million jury verdict on behalf of the spouse and adult children of an ironworker who drowned in the Brazos River while building the pedestrian bridge for Baylor University's football stadium. Vuk filed a lawsuit against multiple construction companies responsible for the project, took over 35 depositions, and took the case to trial in March 2016. Vuk argued that of the seven defendants at trial, Austin Bridge and Road was 100% responsible for our clients' loss. After three weeks of trial, the Harris County jury returned a verdict placing 100% of the blame on Austin Bridge and Road and awarded $17.72 Million to the family. On August 1, 2016, the trial judge signed a judgement on the verdict, valued at over $20 Million.
- Represented 12 workers who were catastrophically injured when the largest crane in the world came crashing down at an industrial plant in Pasadena, Texas. Losses were projected at muliple seven figures
- Represented 43 workers who were injured after several explosions occurred at the Enterprise Products industrial plant in Mont Belvieu, Texas. Economic losses were documented in the multiple millions of dollars.
- Hired by the family of an Australian rig worker who was employed by an internationally known offshore energy company, who was thrown from a Trinity liftboat during a hurricane in the Bay of Campeche and drowned after two days at sea. Vuk negotiated a recovery on behalf of the Australian rig worker's family.
- Represented the surviving spouse and adult children of a Kansas company man who was shot and killed on a drilling rig site in the Middle East, in the country of Yemen. After two weeks in trial against the largest drilling contractor in the world, Vuk negotiated a settlement.
- Represented 10 workers who were injured after a large fire erupted at a major chemical plant in Houston, Texas, owned and operated by Lyondell. Damages were projected in the multiple millions.
- Represented a teenager who was catastrophically injured after being thrown out of a moving roller coaster at Six Flags Astroworld, a nationally-known amusement park. Vuk negotiated a signifcant recovery in a second mediation.
- Represented several workers who were catastrophically injured during explosions at the Exxon industrial plant in Beaumont, Texas. Economic losses were documented in the multiple millions.
- Represented a longshore worker who was catastrophically injured on a commercial barge, owned by Moran Towing Corporation, in the Port of Corpus Christi when a gantry crane crushed him. Damages were projected at multiple millions, including a life care plan.
Sample Current Cases:
- Representing a well-known graphic artist from Spain who was catastrophically injured when a Greyhound bus crashed in central Pennsylvania, injuring over 25 passengers, including one fatality. Case is pending in federal court in Philadelphia. Damages are documented in the multiple millions, including a life care plan.
- Representing the surviving family members of a man killed when an 18 wheeler rear-ended the car he was driving on a toll road near Dallas, Texas.
- Representing the surviving family members of a rigger killed at an ExxonMobil refinery in Beaumont, Texas, when a pipe broke loose and crushed him.
- Representing an oilfield worker who was performing maintenance work at an oil rig in Colorado County, Texas when equipment exploded, causing him to suffer catastrophic injuries.
- Representing an oilfield worker who was pumping fluids from an oil truck into a well when a massive fire occurred, burning the worker over a significant portion of his body.
- Representing a car dealership worker who suffered a catastrophic brain injury when he was thrown out of a vehicle and landed on concrete.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1995
- Houston Law Review, Associate Editor, 1994-95
- University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., Finance, with Honors, 1992
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Top Verdicts ranked his $17,720,000 verdict at 18 out of the top 50 plaintiff verdicts obtained in Texas in 2016
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (Top 2% in Texas)
- "Superb" AVVO 10/10 Rating since 2014
- "People on the Move," 2013, Houston Business Journal
- "Top Contributor," 2013, AVVO
- "Top Texas Settlements of the Year," 2012, Jones Act Case
- "Top Texas Verdicts of the Year," 2010, Truck Accident Case
- American Association for Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Member, Planning Committee, Advanced Civil Trial Law Conference, South Texas College of Law
- Participant, Career Mentor Network Program, University of Houston Law Center
Presentations & Speeches:
- Panelist, “H.B.4 Panel: A Jury Charge Demonstration,” Advanced Civil Trial Law Conference, South Texas College of Law
- Speaker, “Advanced Evidence & Discovery,” University of Houston Law Foundation
- Adjunct Professor, “Admissibility of Expert Testimony,” University of Houston Law Center