Don’t be afraid to find out your rights after a Houston car accident and pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries. A lot of the fear that keeps victims from getting help is a simple fear of the unknown and what will happen. To help, here is a general overview of what to expect from your car accident injury claim:
- The immediate aftermath of the car accident. Your focus at this point should be on recovering from your injuries and documenting the accident. Notify the police, and notify your insurance company, and, even if your injuries are minor, it’s wise to at least have your family physician take a look at you and monitor any symptoms.
- Building a relationship with a Houston accident attorney. If you have been injured in an auto accident in Houston, you may need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney to get a truly fair settlement that covers the full cost of your car accident injuries. Make it a priority to at least speak with an attorney about your case and your rights in a free and confidential consultation—even if you don’t ultimately decide to pursue a claim or hire an attorney.
- Filing an accident injury claim. Once you’ve decided to pursue compensation, you can file a claim against the other driver’s insurance company for your injuries. If you are working with an attorney, he can handle all the details of this step and advise you on any applicable time limits.
- Waiting for the other driver to respond. After you have filed a claim, you will generally need to wait a short period for a response from the other party. The other driver may choose to admit some or all responsibility, deny responsibility, or even start a countersuit against you.
- Negotiating with the other driver’s insurance company. As you enter mediation with the other driver’s insurance company, you may find yourself sorting through complex options. The insurance company’s first offer is often insultingly low, and it sometimes takes strong evidence and clear documentation to come to an agreement on what is fair to you.
- Moving on to other options if you cannot reach a resolution. If you and your attorney are unable to negotiate a fair settlement with the other driver’s insurance company, it may be appropriate to take your case to trial. If you’re not sure if this is the right option for you, contact us today to talk it over.
If you have been injured in an auto accident in Houston, a Houston accident attorney would be happy to meet with you in a free and confidential case review to answer your questions and provide further guidance. Please reach out to us today at 877-724-7800, or simply fill out the confidential contact form on this page to learn more.