After you’ve been hit by an 18-wheeler, you’re not thinking about the time you’ll spend off work, the money you’ll spend on hospital bills, or the best way to ensure you will win your truck accident case. You’re just hoping everyone in your car is alive and well, and you’ll do anything to go home to your family as fast as possible.
Unfortunately, the trucking company’s insurance adjusters are on their way to the scene of the accident. What you say to them will make a big difference in your case later.
Here are just a few vital steps to take after a Texas truck wreck:
- Try to keep calm. If you are injured or cannot move easily, stay in the vehicle. Communicate with the other members of your car and reach for your phone to call 9-1-1.
- Take pictures. If you are able to safely exit the car, take as many pictures of the accident scene as you can. Get shots of the truck, your vehicle, the accident scene and position of the vehicles.
- Talk to yourself. If your phone records video, shoot the accident scene with a voiceover detailing the accident as it occurred. Point out particular damage or objects in the road that played a specific part in the crash.
- Don’t talk to anyone else! Truck drivers and insurance adjusters are coached on how to control accident situations. The easiest way to avoid this is simply not to engage them—and don’t sign anything they give you. You will have to give a recorded statement to the police, so stick to the facts and do not say anything that could be taken as an admission of fault for the accident.
- Get advice from an experienced Texas truck accident attorney. Since every case is different, only an attorney with truck accident experience can tell you what kind of compensation you could receive for your injuries.
For more invaluable tips and legal advice, click here to receive a FREE copy of our report, The Insider's Guide to Winning Your Texas Truck Accident Case.
Our accident attorneys offer comprehensive representation for all truck accident victims, including drivers of smaller cars, families of victims killed in truck crashes, and truckers who have been injured as a result of company negligence.
If you or someone you love was injured in an 18-wheeler accident, our attorneys can help. Call VB Attorneys today today at (877) 724-7800 or submit the contact form on this page to get a free case analysis.