“How can I get a fair settlement after a Houston truck accident?” It’s a common question that we hear from the accident victims who meet with us, and it’s a very important question, especially if your injuries were serious or disabling and will affect your quality of life in the future. Unfortunately, your rights may not always be clear after you have been injured in a wreck, and the insurance company is likely to actively work to pay you as little as possible for your injuries.
Avoid Common Pitfalls after You Are Injured in a Houston Truck Accident
If you have been injured in a truck accident in Houston, it’s very important that you understand your rights and how to handle the trucker’s insurance company and other parties. Here are some common pitfalls:
- Accidentally doing or saying something that wrecks your claim. The insurance company may try to trick you into signing away your rights or doing or saying something that will hurt your claim.
- Accepting a settlement offer too soon. The insurance company’s first offer is rarely their best offer. In order to get a fair settlement, it’s important that you wait until you understand your rights and the full extent of your injuries.
- Accepting a settlement offer that does not cover the full extent of the accident injuries. It’s common for accident victims to get tired of fighting with the insurance company or trucking company and accept an offer that does not cover all of the expenses related to the injury. If you can’t come to an agreement, it may be necessary to pursue litigation to get a fair compensation.
- Not consulting with a Houston truck accident attorney. Truck and semi accidents are usually more complicated than car-only accidents. A personal injury attorney from your local area can help you understand your rights, what to expect from the claims process, and how to proceed. Additionally, an experienced accident attorney can handle negotiating a fair settlement or taking your claim to litigation if settlement isn’t possible.
- Letting time limits run out. Unfortunately, simple time limits prevent some accident victims from taking action. Be sure you are aware of any time limits that may apply in your case.
Get in Contact with a Houston Truck Accident Attorney—Even if You Don’t Ultimately Pursue a Claim or Settle on Your Own
A Houston truck accident attorney can be a valuable guide and ally, even if you don’t ultimately decide to hire an attorney for your claim. In a free consultation, a Houston accident attorney will review the details of your case, give you honest answers, and help you sort out which steps to take next. To schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today, please give us a call at 877.724.7800 or fill out the convenient contact form on this page.