It’s hard not to feel powerless after a car crash. You are shaken, frightened, and just trying to make sure that everyone in your vehicle is okay.
Unfortunately, many people don’t realize that vital information can be swept away from the scene just hours after the crash—and if the evidence doesn’t exist, it cannot be used in your case. We want victims to know there is an easy way to collect evidence as you wait for emergency crews to arrive—and it’s in the palm of your hand.
Your cell phone can save your case. Literally. Here's what you should do with your cell phone immediately afer a car accident:
- Call 911. The first step after your accident is to call for help. The 911 call will be recorded on their end, but you may also keep a record of the call in your phone’s logs.
- Take pictures. No need to pack a disposable camera in the car; cell phones now come equipped with high-quality cameras. If you can move around the accident scene, take as many pictures as you can of your car, showing the damage, road conditions, and the placement of the other vehicles.
- Shoot a video. Pictures may show the extent of damage, but they don’t give a clear picture of the scene. Record a short video, taking a full 360-degree shot of the accident scene. Point out where events took place (the car went off the road here, etc.) as you describe the action.
- Record voice memos. You will need to write down a lot of information after the crash, and your hands may not be steady. If your phone has a voice-memo feature, you can record phone numbers, addresses, names of witnesses and police officers, and other useful pieces of information without worrying about your hands being able to keep up.
- Call for help. You already called for medical assistance; legal assistance can be just as important. Insurance adjusters will try to convince you to sign away your rights to compensation, just hours after the accident occurs. With the right attorney on your side, you can be sure to get the maximum amount of compensation for your injury.
At our firm, we know that it is hard to fight for your rights while recovering from a terrible injury. That’s why our attorneys take on our clients' legal battles—to give them the time they need to recover while we work to get them the compensation they deserve. Call us today at (877)-724-7800 to start your FREE consultation, or fill out a contact form on our website.