If I’ve been hurt while working on a vessel, can I recover money for pain and suffering?

Being seriously hurt can have an effect on every part of your life. You may be in pain all the time. You may be unable to do the things you used to enjoy. You may have trouble just getting through a “normal day.” All of these things take away from the quality of your life and leave you suffering after an accident at sea. You may be aware that you can recover compensation for your medical bills under the Jones Act, but there may be more to it than that. If you were hurt while working on a vessel, and the accident was a coworker’s or your employer’s fault, you may be able to recover compensation for pain and suffering.

However, it isn’t usually enough to just stand up and explain how an injury has changed your life and what you’ve been through during your recovery. There are a lot of rules about what you can recover for pain and suffering, and it depends on the specifics in your case. Just like you have to prove your injury with medical documentation and other evidence, you also have to be able to “prove” your pain and suffering, too. And it isn’t easy.

Without the help of a highly experienced attorney, it can be difficult or impossible to recover compensation for pain and suffering. An attorney can help you:

  • Get the evidence you need to prove what you’ve been through.
  • Determine if you have a legal claim for additional pain and suffering damages for what happened.
  • Protect your rights to a financial recovery that truly covers the full cost of your injuries.

When employers overlook safety and someone gets hurt, seamen have a right to recover. If you have questions about how much your case might be worth or how to recover financially after an injury at sea, reach out to our law office today at 877-724-7800.


Brian Beckcom
Highest Possible 10/10 AVVO ranking. Husband. Father. Fisherman.