Driving on snowy, icy roads can lead to weather-related crashes. But, many of us must navigate these conditions in order to celebrate holidays with our loved ones.
Chances are, if you live in Houston, you are not as experienced with driving on icy, snowy roads as a person from New Hampshire. That’s why our Houston car accident attorneys provide the following suggestions for holiday travelers.
As an initial matter, you should understand the dangers of snow and ice. Icy roads are slippery, and some cars may not be able to properly brake when navigating slippery roads. Elevated roadways and bridges usually freeze over first, so you must use care when driving on them even if the rest of the roadway is clear. Be aware that snow or ice may melt during the day and then refreeze as the temperature drops again.
These tips may keep your family safe.
When driving on icy or snowy roads, keep the following tips in mind:
- Reduce your speed.
- Avoid locking your brakes.
- Keep your windows clear of snow and ice.
- Know that your trip will take longer and plan accordingly.
- Drive only when you are alert. Driving on ice is stressful. This can lead to fatigue. Switch drivers or pull over for a break if you feel fatigued or tired.
- Make sure everyone wears a seat belt.
Contact a Houston auto accident attorney if you have a wreck.
The Houston auto accident attorneys at VB Attorneys help victims of car crashes. You may call our personal injury attorneys anytime at 877-724-7800, or fill out an online form.