When you’re suffering after a serious injury, you need expert help and you need it quickly. It is really tempting to hire the first lawyer you speak with, but that might be a terrible idea. Many people don’t realize that lawyers sometimes advertise for cases they don’t actually take, have no experience in, and aren’t qualified to handle. To avoid getting stuck with a lawyer who isn’t the right fit for your case, you should take the time to:
- Do your research. Get started by reading more about your rights and what to expect from the legal process. For example, you can learn a lot by visiting the article library. You should also check out the websites for law firms and lawyers you’d like to meet to get a better feel for their experience and the kinds of cases they take.
- Interview different law firms and lawyers. You want to make sure you’re getting the best person for the job and someone you feel comfortable with. Meeting in person or chatting on the phone with a lawyer can help you get a better feel for how a particular lawyer might handle you and your case.
- Ask questions. When you talk with different lawyers, make sure you also ask questions. The right lawyer will listen to what you have to say, respond honestly, and give you clear answers in language you understand. Don’t be afraid to speak up!
Not sure how to get started? Take a look at some example questions below, as well as some answers from the board-certified lawyers at VB Attorneys.
The seven questions you need to ask before hiring a personal injury lawyer
The Texas Bar Association has a list of questions prospective clients should ask when they are interviewing lawyers. Here are the top seven questions to give you an example of the types of questions you should be thinking about, and the answers given to these questions when potential clients want to hire VB Attorneys:
- How long has the lawyer been practicing law? The lawyers at VB Attorneys have been practicing law collectively for over 45 years.
- Will the lawyer actually handle your case? Yes. A lot of lawyers will take your case, and then send it to some other lawyer to handle. At VB Attorneys, this doesn’t happen. When you hire VB Attorneys, you get the lawyers at VB Attorneys, not some other law firm you have never heard of and never hired.
- Will the lawyer show you a list of case results? Check out the case results here.
- Has the lawyer handled cases similar to your case? It’s possible. One hundred percent of the practice at VB Attorneys is dedicated to personal injury work on behalf of injury victims. Find out what types of cases are handled.
- Does the lawyer have professional liability insurance? Yes. The firm is fully insured by a professional liability insurance company. The legal team at VB Attorneys does not believe it would be responsible for a lawyer to practice law without insurance. If you want to see a copy of the insurance policy, the firm would be happy to give it to you.
- Has the lawyer ever been disciplined by the State Bar? No. You can verify that here.
- What are the lawyer’s fees? VB Attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, which means that you pay nothing unless your case is won. If your case is won, you will be charged a percentage of the recovery and get the case expenses reimbursed. Everything is up front, in a clearly written contract, and there are no surprise "costs" or "fees" to you. Learn more about contingency-fee agreements.
Find the best fit for you and your case
The lawyer who is going to be the best choice for your individual case will be able to answer all these questions, have case results that are similar to your situation, and will generally be a good fit for you. Ultimately, you need an experienced and honest lawyer who you will both get along with and feel comfortable talking to.
If you are ready to get started now and want to find out if VB Attorneys is the best choice for you, call the firm directly or fill out the brief contact form on this page to request a free consultation. The legal team at VB Attorneys will answer all your questions and make sure you have everything you need to make an informed decision.