Why You CAN Sue a Non-US Manufacturer for Your Defective Product Injury

Comments (0)

injury from defective product

Say you get hurt by a defective product. You find out that the product was made by a foreign company when you research it. You wanted to sue them for injuring you, but can you since they aren't a U.S. company?

Do you give up on pursuing a lawsuit in this instance?  The answer is no, for several reasons.  In next week's post, I'll discuss something you may not yet have considered. I'll discuss why you may have a claim against the seller of the defective product, which in most cases will be a U.S. company.   But today I'll address the obvious concern:

Can I sue that non-U.S. manufacturer?  

Your question concerns a primary issue that every first year law student has to address about due process and "personal jurisdiction."  Can your U.S. or state court take jurisdiction over a lawsuit involving that non-U.S. company?  It may surprise you to know that the answer in many cases, is:


In some cases, this turns out to be a very complicated and involved legal issue. You should talk to an attorney about it before giving up on the thought of bringing your lawsuit against a foreign company. V&B's Texas defective product attorneys have had these conversations, and many times, a person is able to sue the foreign manufacturer.

I have spent the last week in Munich, Germany taking depositions of witnesses in a case involving a defective product manufactured by a German company.  Our client is suing that German company.   The product is a defective flare that ultimately set a fire to cause our client third degree burns on his face, torso and arms. 

To learn more about defective products cases, click here.

If you have a question about an injury resulting from a defective product and would like to speak to one of our experienced attorneys, call now at 877-724-7800.


Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.