The fire was reported to have started at around 1:30 in the afternoon in an area of the plant that was housing hydrochloric acid and vinyl chloride. The plant was evacuated and emergency responders including hazmat teams and the fire department moved in. Schools in the area, including 3 elementary schools were ordered to shelter in place until it was clear there was no further danger.
Currently, a spokeswoman for the plant is reporting to several media outlets that there were no injuries in this fire, however we aren't so sure. Inhaling hydrochloric acid fumes can cause a tightness in your chest, choking, rapid pulse and even cause you to cough up blood - which could be a sign of more serious injuries.
In addition to the injuries that can be caused by inhaling the toxic fumes from the fire, we have also seen several cases such as this one, where employees suffered burn injuries as they were running away from a fire.
An investigation as to the cause of the fire is certain however, it is important that those involved seek medical attention and understand their legal rights if they were in fact injured in this incident.
If you have questions about your rights after being injured in this, or a smililar accident fill out this contact form or call us at 877-724-7800.