Vuk is nationally and internationally known for handling high profile personal injury and wrongful death cases, where the stakes for the victims and their families could not be any higher. For over a decade, Vuk has been Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
According to Vuk, "The State Bar of Texas, not one of the many marketing companies out there that will sell you an 'award,' certifies lawyers in Texas. This is the gold standard. Because I am Board Certified, my clients know that my background, qualifications and skills have been thorougly vetted by the State Bar, not just once, but continuously as we must apply for re-certification every 5 years. My clients often tell me they have peace of mind because they know they are represented by an attorney who holds a certification held by less than 2% of all the lawyers practicing in Texas. The insurance and company lawyers know this as well, and this helps my clients' cases tremendously. I am proud that our law firm offers several lawyers who are Board Certified."
Vuk graduated from the University of Texas with a degree in Finance, with Honors. Vuk went to law school at the University of Houston Law Center, where he was selected to be an Editor of the Houston Law Review. Vuk says, "my work on the law review was critical, as it sharpened my legal research and writing skills, which is often an overlooked skill. I believe lawyers who are known for their work in the courtroom need to have this type of foundation in order to offer the absolute best service to their clients. Unfortunately, I think it's rare to find a lawyer who is excellent in both trial work and legal analysis work."
Before starting his own law firm with Brian, Vuk worked at an international law firm, Shook, Hardy & Bacon, where he handled "bet-the-company" types of cases brought against all of the major tobacco and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Through this work, Vuk learned first-hand how large corporations and insurance companies try to defend against high-stakes lawsuits. Now, Vuk uses what he learned while representing these corporations to benefit his clients who are making claims against these same types of organizations. "My clients appreciate that I have this inside knowledge, and that I use it to enhance their cases at every opportunity," says Vuk.
Vuk is a first generation American, and lifelong Houstonian. Vuk lives in Houston with his wife, Ofelia, and three children, Isa, Nikola and Sava.
When he is not handling cases, Vuk enjoys spending time with his family at home and on family vacations. Vuk also enjoys playing golf, tennis, and poker. Vuk was a state-ranked tennis player in high school, and gravitated to golf when he was attending the University of Texas. Vuk is a regular contender at the annual World Series of Poker event in Las Vegas, Nevada, and periodically participates in other high-stakes cash games throughout the country.
"People often want to know about specific cases I am currently handling or have handled in the past, and what I have obtained for my clients," says Vuk. "I think it's a great idea for anyone looking for a lawyer to get this information." In the two decades Vuk has been practicing law, he has been called upon to handle cases like these:
- Negotiated multi-million dollar settlement for 12 workers who were catastrophically injured when the largest crane in the world came crashing down at an industrial plant in Pasadena, Texas.
- Currently representing 45 workers who were injured after several explosions occurred at the Enterprise Products industrial plant in Mont Belvieu, Texas. Economic losses are documented in the multiple millions of dollars.
- Currently represent the five surviving family members of the construction worker who drowned in the Brazos River during construction of the new $260 million Baylor University football stadium. For more information and continuing updates on this litigation, visit Baylor Stadium Death Lawsuit.
- Hired by the family of an Australian rig worker who was employed by an internationally known offshore energy company, who was thrown from a lift boat during a hurricane in the Bay of Campeche and drowned after two days at sea. Vuk negotiated a multi-million dollar recovery.
- Hired by the surviving spouse and adult children of a Kansas company man who was shot and killed on a drilling rig site in the Middle East, in Yemen. After two weeks in trial, Vuk negotiated multi-million dollar settlement against the largest drilling contractor in the world.
- Negotiated confidential settlement for 10 workers who were injured after a large fire erupted at a major chemical plant in Houston, Texas, owned and operated by Lyondell.
- Hired by parents of teenager who was catastrophically injured after being thrown out of a moving roller coaster at a nationally known amusement park. Vuk negotiated a multi-million dollar recovery.
- Currently represent several workers who were catastrophically injured during explosions at the Exxon industrial plant in Beaumont, Texas. Economic losses are documented in the multiple millions.
- Hired by well-known graphics artist from Spain who was catastrophically injured when a Greyhound bus crashed in central Pennsylvania, injuring over 25 passengers, including one fatality. Damages are documented in the multiple millions.
- Hired by longshore worker who was catastrophically injured on a commercial barge in the Port of Corpus Christi when a gantry crane crushed him. The barge owner, Moran Towing Corporation, has sought to limit the damages to $15 million.
- Currently handling case in California court for 4 businessmen injured when their Toyota rental car experienced Sudden Unintended Acceleration. Catastrophic injuries have caused documented losses in the multiple millions of dollars.
- Negotiated multi-million dollar recovery against major automobile manufacturer after pick up truck occupants burned to death due to defective fuel tank.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1995
- Houston Law Review, Associate Editor, 1994-95
- University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., Finance, with Honors, 1992
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law (Top 2% in Texas)
- "Superb" AVVO 10/10 Rating
- "People on the Move," 2013, Houston Business Journal
- "Top Contributor," 2013, AVVO
- "Top Texas Settlements of the Year," 2012, Jones Act Case
- "Top Texas Verdicts of the Year," 2010, Truck Accident Case
- American Association for Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Member, Planning Committee, Advanced Civil Trial Law Conference, South Texas College of Law
- Participant, Career Mentor Network Program, University of Houston Law Center
Presentations & Speeches:
- Panelist, “H.B.4 Panel: A Jury Charge Demonstration,” Advanced Civil Trial Law Conference, South Texas College of Law
- Speaker, “Advanced Evidence & Discovery,” University of Houston Law Foundation
- Adjunct Professor, “Admissibility of Expert Testimony,” University of Houston Law Center